Answered By: Harry L. Whitlock II Last Updated: Oct 19, 2016 Views: 13
Most of the databases available through the UW Libraries offer the option to set up an alert and/or RSS feeds to inform researchers of new articles and information.
RSS stands for Real Simple Syndication. This link is to a page on a library guide that explains more about this option. You will need to use an RSS reader (e.g., Feedly or another reading app) to receive and read the information that has been collected.
To set up an alert or an RSS feed in:
ProQuest databases: First, perform a search on a topic. When the search results appear...
- Alert: On the results page, locate the "Save/search alert" link under the search bar. Click this link and select "Create alert," For alerts, provide the required information of naming the alert, email address, alert content, and frequency of alert. Click "Create Alert" to finish.
- RSS feed: Click on the same "Save/search alert" link. Click on "Create RSS feed." Select the parameters of the feed (e.g., only new information). Click "Create Feed." On the next webpage that appears will be a Web link created specifically for that RSS feed. Copy and paste this link into the appropriate place in your RSS reading app. Please note that feeds expire if not accessed within a three month period.
EBSCO databases: First perform a search. When the results appear, click on the green "Create Alert" button to the right of the search boxes.
- To receive alerts, you must have an account. For UW students/faculty/staff, an account is free. To set up an account, click on the "Sign In" link and locate the "Create an account" link located to the right of the "Log In" button. Click the link and complete the sign in process.
- Alert: (After an account has been created), Click on the "Create Alert" button. Sign-in if not already signed in. Select the desired parameters for the alert (frequency of alert, date range, format). Click "Save Alert."
- RSS Feed: Click on "Create Alert." Copy the RSS feed URL located at the bottom of the pop-up window. Paste this URL into an RSS reader.
Web of Science databases: First perform a search. When the results appear, locate and click on the "Create Alert" button located in the left column and underneath text "Results" and "You searched for...."
- To receive alerts, you must have an account. For UW students/faculty/staff, an account is free. To set up an account, click on the "Register link located underneath the log-in boxes. Follow the prompts and provide the required information.
- Alerts: Once signed in, a pop-up box labeled "Save Search History" will appear. Complete the required information. Ensure that the "Email alerts" box is checked. Click "Save."
- RSS Feed: To create only an RSS feed, make sure that the "Email alerts" box is NOT checked when saving the search history. Click "Save." Another pop-up window will appear that states the search history/alert was successfully saved. On the window is an icon for the RSS feed. Click that icon/link. A new webpage will open. On this page you can select which RSS reader to direct the feed to. The default is "Live Bookmarks." Enter information to select another reader.
Other databases also allow setting up alerts and RSS feeds. Locate the "Help" option for the database and search for information. Additional help may be obtained by contacting the library help desk.
Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org
Schedule an appointment with us
Text us at (307) 460-4336
Click on the chat icon located on the grey bar on the main library webpage
University of Wyoming Libraries
1000 E. University Ave.
Laramie, WY 82071
|Coe Library Research Help||307-766-2070 or 1-800-442-6757|
Circulation Help Desk
|American Heritage Center||307-766-3756|
|Learning Resource Center||307-766-2527|