Answered By: Get Help from UW Libraries Research & Instruction Department
Last Updated: Jul 25, 2019     Views: 2919

Circulation is a library term that means checking out library materials to users. It is used to designate the service desk where you check out and return materials, as well as the library staff that work at those desks.

Typically, circulation units process returned items and prepare them to be returned to the book stacks. Occasionally circulation staff will notice damage to returned materials and sent those items for repair. Circulation staff also prepare library bills for damaged, long overdue, or lost materials. Circulation staff often are responsible for shelving new and returned materials. Circulation units also provide a lost and found service.

Circulation units have shelving where course reserves, Prospector, Interlibrary Loan, and other materials are held for pick-up by patrons.

Related FAQs

    Contact Us

    Email us

    Send a message to

    Schedule an appointment with us

    Set up an appointment with a subject librarian

    Text us 

    Text us at (307) 460-4336

    Live chat 

    Click on the chat icon located on the grey bar on the main library webpage

    Mail us 

    University of Wyoming Libraries
    Department 3334,
    1000 E. University Ave.
    Laramie, WY 82071

    Phone us 

    Help Desk 307-766-3190, 307-766-2070 or toll free 1-800-442-6757
    Geology Library 307-766-3374
    Special Collections 307-766-6245
    Learning Resource Center 307-766-2527
    Library Annex 307-766-6539
    Law Library 307-766-5737
    American Heritage Center 307-766-3756
    Reference services are available in all UW libraries.