Answered By: Harry L. Whitlock II
Last Updated: Jan 08, 2019     Views: 35

There are several options for you to conduct research now that you are no longer a student.

1. UW Alumni / UW Libraries access: The link at the end of this paragraph is to a library guide describes how to access select premium databases through the UW Alumni Association webpage, as well as provides a list of the available databases. You need to register with the UWAA (no requirement to join), but keep in mind that UW graduates are traditionally given their first year in the alumni association for free. This is probably the best option to get to current articles. There are databases available for about every professional field of study (education, healthcare, business, etc.)

2. Use the public terminals at the UW Libraries: If you still live in Laramie or visit here, the public computers in any of the UW library branches can be used by anyone. Be aware that printing is not available from these terminals, nor are the USB hubs active (files cannot be saved to a device). The best option is to save to the desktop of the computer and then email the articles to yourself. Also, Wyoming residents can get a UW public patron library card and check out books. UW's books are available for interlibrary loan through your local library.

3. Use open access databases/journals: This library guide describes the open access resources available via the internet:  You can also get to many additional open access resources by clicking on the "Databases" button in the "FIND" section of the main library webpage. On the "Databases" page, locate the "Open/Free Access" link. Those resources are free to access. The "Directory of Open Access Journals" is the best database to search for articles. Depending on the area you wish to research, there are some excellent databases such as ERIC and AGRICOLA provided by the US Government.

4. Get a public library card: Public libraries in Wyoming and other states provide access to numerous databases. All you have to do is get a library card and enter that information when prompted. Ask at your local library about the available resources.

5. Google Scholar: Google Scholar is a site with access to lots of information ( Keep in mind that even though an article is not available on Google Scholar, the citation information is available. You can use that information to request an article using interlibrary loan (ILL) at your local library to get a copy of the article.

Related FAQs

    Contact Us

    Email us

    Send a message to

    Schedule an appointment with us

    Set up an appointment with a subject librarian

    Text us 

    Text us at (307) 460-4336

    Live chat 

    Click on the chat icon located on the grey bar on the main library webpage

    Mail us 

    University of Wyoming Libraries
    Department 3334,
    1000 E. University Ave.
    Laramie, WY 82071

    Phone us 

    Help Desk 307-766-3190, 307-766-2070 or toll free 1-800-442-6757
    Geology Library 307-766-3374
    Special Collections 307-766-6245
    Learning Resource Center 307-766-2527
    Library Annex 307-766-6539
    Law Library 307-766-5737
    American Heritage Center 307-766-3756
    Reference services are available in all UW libraries.