Answered By: Get Help from UW Libraries Research & Instruction Department
Last Updated: May 03, 2017     Views: 214

The Libraries issue library bills for long overdue/damaged/missing books, videos, or other items that must be replaced. Typically, the Libraries use the Books-in-Print database to determine this cost for American or Canadian books readily available for purchase. If a book is out-of-print (or no longer available for purchase), the Libraries use a set of default prices based on average costs by subject or particular format (for example, maps or bound journal volume). Along with the replacement cost, the Libraries also assess a $20 processing fee and a non-refundable $5 billing fee on long overdue/damaged/missing items. 

If the item is returned in usable condition, the replacement cost and the Processing Fee are waived. However, the $5 billing fee is still applied to cover the costs of processing. This fee must be paid before borrowing privileges are reinstated. Pay the fee at the Cashier's Office at Knight Hall or online on WyoWeb. Save a copy of your receipt and show it to the staff at the circulation desk to get any holds cleared from your account.

SEE ALSO Can I purchase a replacement book instead of the Libraries?

Related FAQs

    Contact Us

    Email us

    Send a message to

    Schedule an appointment with us

    Set up an appointment with a subject librarian

    Text us 

    Text us at (307) 460-4336

    Live chat 

    Click on the chat icon located on the grey bar on the main library webpage

    Mail us 

    University of Wyoming Libraries
    Department 3334,
    1000 E. University Ave.
    Laramie, WY 82071

    Phone us 

    Help Desk 307-766-3190, 307-766-2070 or toll free 1-800-442-6757
    Geology Library 307-766-3374
    Special Collections 307-766-6245
    Learning Resource Center 307-766-2527
    Library Annex 307-766-6539
    Law Library 307-766-5737
    American Heritage Center 307-766-3756
    Reference services are available in all UW libraries.